What is Fraud and Financial Impropriety?
The District prohibits fraud and financial impropriety, as defined below, in the actions of its Trustees, employees, vendors, contractors, consultants, volunteers, and others seeking or maintaining a business relationship with the District. Fraud and financial impropriety shall include but not be limited to:
- Forgery or unauthorized alteration of any document or account belonging to the District.
- Forgery or unauthorized alteration of a check, bank draft, or any other financial document.
- Misappropriation of funds, securities, supplies, or other District assets, including employee time.
- Impropriety in the handling of money or reporting of District financial transactions.
- Profiteering as a result of insider knowledge of District information or activities.
- Unauthorized disclosure of confidential or proprietary information to outside parties.
- Unauthorized disclosure of investment activities engaged in or contemplated by the District.
- Accepting or seeking anything of material value from contractors, vendors, or other persons providing services or materials to the District, except as otherwise permitted by law or District policy. [See DBD]
- Inappropriately destroying, removing, or using records, furniture, fixtures, or equipment.
- Failure to provide financial records required by state or local entities.
- Failure to disclose conflicts of interest as required by law or District policy.
- Any other dishonest act regarding the finances of the District.
Who should I report suspected fraud to?
Any person who suspects fraud or financial impropriety in the District shall report the suspicions immediately to any supervisor, the Superintendent or designee, the Board President, or local law enforcement. Reports of suspected fraud or financial impropriety shall be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law. Limited disclosure may be necessary to complete a full investigation or to comply with law. All employees involved in an investigation shall be advised to keep information about the investigation confidential.
Am I protected from retaliation if I report suspected fraud?
Neither the Board nor any District employee shall unlawfully retaliate against a person who in good faith reports perceived fraud or financial impropriety. [See DG]
Where can I find more information about District policy and procedures on fraud?
Please read Board Policy CAA (LOCAL) attached here. Additionally, the procedures that the District has implemented in the event that fraud is reported can be viewed reviewing the flowchart attached here.